Friday 1 February 2013

The Jolly Egg Ball Review

Before I brought Puppy home, I had heard of horror stories on the interwebs of de-stuffed toys, swallowed balls, and other toy-related tragedies. I knew I was getting a strong, working-breed dog, and wanted to make sure the toys in my house are as sturdy as possible. I had heard many great things about the Jolly Egg Ball, but wasn't able to locate one in Canada until Pup was around 8 months old.

The Jolly Egg ball is designed to be a ball that is very difficult (not IMPOSSIBLE) for dogs to pick up. Puppy (60lb adult) plays with the larger ball size. When Puppy tries to bite the ball, the ball will move away from her. This makes her frustrated, and even more eager to continue pursuing and biting the ball.

Image from Amazon.com



The Good:

I love this toy for so many reasons!

I like to prep my walks with Puppy by having her do some intense running and chasing to take the edge off of her. This ball is great since it does engage her in fairly heavy exercise. Usually, we play with it together by having us both chase it down and see who can kick/bite it away faster. I can start our routine with 20 minutes of Jolly ball and have a calmer dog during my walks. On rainy days, I usually extend this play session to 30 minutes and add training in there to shorten our walks outside into potty breaks.

I also love the fact that it can keep her occupied for a good 30 minutes without my participation if I need to quickly get something else done.

The Not-So-Good:

With time and some practice, Pup was able to balance the ball under her belly, gain a grip on the ball and gnaw on the thinner tip of the Jolly ball. Though this hasn't affected her love for it, the ball now picks up dust and hair during play. I've attached a video of Puppy playing with the Jolly Ball for you to see her pick it up towards the end. Please excuse the messy house and the blurry iphone video



I find this to be an indoor toy only. On grass, it doesn't move around with the same speed that makes it thrilling for Pup to chase. I imagine cement will scratch up the ball and make it easier for Puppy to grip as well.

Overall, I am very happy with the quality and design of the toy. When the thin end gets gnawed on even more, I will replace the ball with a new one.

Conclusion: Dog and human both love. Will buy again if replacements needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment