Tuesday 21 February 2012

Day 1

This is day 1 of implementing some of the strategies Mike talked about. I feel like CRAP, crummy enough to warrant some capital letters. UGH.

What I did RIGHT:
  1. Ignored her unless she came to me or did something desirable before giving attention. Today, this happened like 0 times during her off leash time, and 2 times while on leash during potty break. I will be patient and continue waiting.
  2. Successfully worked on holding a sit until I release her to go through all doors. I am much more consistent with this now than at school.
  3. Worked on loose-leash walking in front of house. 
  4. Successfully ignored leg biting. But method could be wrong. My current approach is if I was originally walking, I'll keep walking and changing directions into her to make it unpleasant. It's now a tug game for her, but I am not saying anything or looking at her. She stops when I walk back to the stairs to go inside the house. If I was originally standing still, I will continue to stand still and not make a sound or eye contact. She stopped shortly when I stood still.

What I did WRONG:

  1. Left her in her expen today instead of crating during the day. I cheated because I wanted to go out in peace. She is quiet and behaves in her expen. I will crate her tomorrow
  2. Did not successfully manage the family. After barking for 5 hours while in her crate, Dad could not deal with it anymore and went took her out of crate to correct her. He has to work in 5 more hours. I took pupper out and pottied her after he left and she was quiet in the crate, and then put her in the expen until I was ready to go to bed.  She was crated in a room in the basement with the door closed and barked the ENTIRE time. She is quiet in her crate when her crate is beside me. I know the appropriate action is to ignore, but my parents NEED to rest to work. Tomorrow, I am cratng her during the day when my parents don't need to rest, and at night when it is bed time, I will move her to the expen until I am ready for bed. I feel like crap for this. Know I did it wrong. Felt guilty emailing trainer. MUST UP CONSISTENCY.

No comments:

Post a Comment