Saturday 25 February 2012

Day 6

Yesterday was day 6 of my new training program. And quite honestly, I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference in the positive side. But I will persist on and give it more time.

The leg biting is TERRIBLE. She shredded my boyfriends pants yesterday. If this is extinction behavior for attention, I hope it goes away soon. I can't walk into her when she bites to make it unpleasant since she is more agile than me, so my plan has been to walk near home and if she bites, turn around and go home. Yesterday, we did this for about 30 minutes in the driveway before she stopped and we were able to continue on our walk. But today, she started again in the backyard, so I'm not sure that she has clued in.

She's just started barking at people all of a sudden. Which WORRIES me endlessly. She was completely fine before I started all this crating and no going to very public places.

Does she value my attention more...? I don't think so.

We are actively practicing NILF. She sits and waits for a release at every door.

What else to do...?

3 comments:

  1. Is she barking because she is frustrated? Does she want to meet the people, is she scared of them, etc?

    She is a puppy almost 7 months correct? The biting behaviour is no longer tolerated. This is going to become a big issue soon for you. I'm sorry to say, but you need to find someone who you can regularly work with.

    NILF is not just about the door. It is about everything. Food, treats, affection, playtime, it is a way of life..you do not practice it. You Are It.
    -Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cassie and I am the one who was consulted regarding this dog in the first place. True, biting should not be tolerated but the client needs to learn how to stop it. What I have recommended is not being accurately applied. The barking at people is not entirely new as she barked at and pulled the handler toward me during the initial greet for her evaluation.

    NILIF is ABOUT EVERYTHING!!! Cassie, I could not have said it better.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike,

    Which aspects do you feel is not being properly implemented? I was under the impression that I was doing okay...but apparently not I guess?


    I agree NILF is the way of life and I am trying. Its hard I vocalize NILF into words. Doors was just where we started.

    ReplyDelete