Monday 13 February 2012

Of Ear Woes and Rebellion

I harbor complicated feelings for Mondays. I love the weekends, and dread every Sunday for the inevitable responsibilities that come with Monday. I love Mondays for the puppy class. As if I didn't say it enough in earlier posts, I REALLY enjoy learning and training with Amaretto. When we train together, I get a taste of the relationship that we could have in the future, when I can finally graduate from the pee-wiping, discipline-dispensing mother figure to a partner and friend.

Today was the last class for Puppy Level 1, and the trainer set up some low agility equipment stations for the class to try out. We were timed to see how quickly we could complete all the stations. Each handler and dog team got to go three times. Amaretto and I were the fastest the first time around at 55 seconds, but she wasn't as focused the second or third run. The stations are:

1. 3 signs with different directions on each sign. Sign 1 was sit + down, sign 2 was sit, sign 3 was down. You heel between the signs.

2. Wobble board

3. 3 meter long tunnel

4. Jump through a ring

5. 3 Low bars

6. Table + down

Pupper has no hesitation going on the wobble board, in the tunnel, or on the table. I am very glad that my socialization to different surfaces like slides, tunnels, and grates are paying off.

At the end of class, we were al presented with ribbons for completing the course. I hope this is the first of our many ribbons. :D 


Outside of class, today has not been a good day for us.

Amaretto's Poor Day

I left her buddy bowl in there like many days before, but today, she drank the entire bowl and chewed up the rim. Emptying the bowl also meant that she emptied her bladder in her crate instead of holding it until her 4 PM potty. I just bathed her this weekend and already she's successfully dabbed pee on herself. The naughtiness continues at night. She somehow PEED in my bed! I don't even know when it happened!! She knows for sure that she is not allowed on my mattress, and I can't help but think this was an act of rebellion.

Xuan's Poor Day

I've been getting worried about her floppy right ear, and used ostomy glue to glue the foam inserts that Robin sent me to help straighten her ear as she finishes teething.  Unfortunately for pupper, I SUCK at this. Her foam insert fell out 3 times from the first time we put it on Sunday till now. When it falls out, it leaves behind a big dried cake of ostomy glue. It was a bear to get that glue out. In the process, pupper and I both lost tons of brain cells sniffing at nail polish remover, and pupper also lost some ear hairs. I don't know if I should glue again or not. I am REALLY worried about doing more harm than good. Both her ears stood as a puppy, so I know they CAN stand, but will they?!

Ear with crusty glue.

Floppy Righty

Amaretto's also been shedding like crazy lately. A casual petting netted me this hideous hairball. Is this her blowing her puppy coat? Is this normal???!


Amaretto's now 10 days short of 6 months. What a gorgeous young lady she is growing into. Even with the floppy ear, the rubbed nose, and the goofy puppy-eyes going on, she is still the cutest thing alive. :D





6 comments:

  1. I like the floppy ears. It looks cute! Don't try to change her with glue.
    And the ribbon reminds me of kindergarten. Sweet times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't let it be. It's against breed standards. The ears stand most of the time, and righty is just floppy a bit at the tip. The foam and glue gives her extra support during teething, so the flop doesn't leave a lasting crease. I agree it looks cute now, but when she's full grown and her face fills out, it won't look so cute.

      :D The ribbon is for graduating kindergarten! We're starting agility 1 next!!! Can't wait.

      Delete
  2. Hey Xuan,
    Sometimes it can be a good idea to up the calcium when they start teething and the ears start to flop. The extra calcium will compensate for the nutrients needed to lay down new teeth during this time. Here are some good links for taping:
    leerburg.com/tapingears.htm?set=1
    http://www.wikihow.com/Tape-Up-Stubborn-German-Shepherd-Puppy-Ears
    http://hauspharao.com/health/ears.html

    I am sure Robin can give you good guidance as well.

    As for the shedding, it sounds like she might be blowing coat. Totally normal. Think one is bad? I have THREE that are blowing coat all the same time. My vacuum cleaner is NOT happy :(
    Brush her with a nice slicker brush for 10-20 mins daily (maybe more) to get most of the excess coat off. As soon as the coat is blown out, the new hair will start coming in so you want to help get rid of the old coat. If you don't plan on showing, it doesn't matter what schedule you do this in. It takes about a month to two months to fully get a new coat.
    You can also try using a shedding blade (do it outside - makes a huge mess) and use long smooth strokes with the teeth side on the back, neck and sides. Avoid shedding blade for sensitive areas like her thighs, forearms, legs and belly. If you find that the blade tears the hair, don't use it. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aish,

      Thanks for the good advice, like always!
      I stopped giving her bones because fragments got stuck in her gums TWICE. I'm feeding organic pig ears from the farmer's market, it's just smoked and frozen. I figure there's alot of cartilidge in there to support growth.
      Robin gave pretty detailed instructions as well. She sent ear foams for Amaretto, and I've been using those. Her instructions and materials list are almost fool proof, yet somehow I managed to screw up. I ordered more materials off of ebay and will try again when they get here.

      She mostly sheds on her thighs. The slicker brush picks up a full brush a couple of times a day.

      Do you have a good brand for slicker brushes that automatically release trapped hair? Mine is difficult to clean.

      Delete
    2. I use this Evolution Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs. You can find it on Amazon and I have the large size. It's good because the release button pulls the pins inside the brush so the hair can be quickly removed from the outside part. It's great and does the job quickly without pricking your fingers when you remove the hair.

      Delete
    3. Oh and an added bonus is that the dogs LOVE it. As soon as I take the brush out, Wiva will come to my feet and show her belly with her ears completely flattened. It's hilarious :D

      Delete