Friday 10 February 2012

Small Progress?

So after my disheartened update 2 days ago, I went into a frenzy consulting my breeder and breed enthusiasts on the web. They really helped me realize how crucial it is for me to improve my leadership abilities and really enforce clear boundaries so Amaretto can development into a proper canine member of society. I contacted the local trainer that I use for puppy class, and went in for a 10 minute choke collar demonstration today. I have some reservations on how my trainer fits the collar because it looks different from the instructions on Leerburg's website. I'm not sure if I'm experienced enough to pass judgement on my trainer yet, but I will wait until the week of 18th to get another opinion. I don't want to do MORE harm to her training than I've already done.

But the session there today was still EXTREMELY beneficial to Amaretto because there were two other dogs in the room. Amaretto started barking when she first saw them, but calmed quickly. We were able to then do the "off" command while walking around a calm, downed, older dog. I think more opportunities like this would really help both of us.

In other news, I think I figured out what deterred her from biting me last time - stepping on her leash as close to the collar as possible. She goes into a down, and immediately stops biting behavior. I think that's why last time, whenever I stomped my foot, she was deterred. Foot lifting = coming for leash. I have no idea if this is correct, proper, harmful, etc...but it Worked. I do notice it getting less and less effective so I will still have to go to the prong.

I upped her evening exercise to 2 hours in the evening and started tugging with her again this morning. I was really surprised at how STRONG she has become in the last 2 months. Even with my inexperience, I can feel her firm and strong bite on the tug. I LOVE tugging with her! It's a good outlet of energy for both of us. This girly also has AMAZING control while playing tug with me. If she catches a bit of my gloves, I'll hold still and she'll immediately shift off. Her "out" command is also really really solid. I can only wonder how great of a dog she would've blossomed into in the hands of an experienced handler.

Jason is coming to visit tomorrow. I can't wait to do some training like restrained recall and visitor manners with his help.





1 comment:

  1. Yay Xuan! I'm happy it's going in the right direction! Sending you positive vibes :)

    Get a basic prong (not one of the new types with clasps etc) and fit it like shown on the Leerburg site. Give her a firm pop when she bites you. Weak corrections are useless and teaches her to fight through them. You'll know the correction worked if she gives a small yelp or sharp bark. She'll get the idea quickly that you are serious and biting flesh is NOT acceptable

    ReplyDelete